In this video I demonstrate how to disassemble and clean the viewfinder on a Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder 35mm film camera.
Don't be a stranger, say hello or something! Let me know if this worked for you, or better yet, if you have any tips to add to make it easier for the next guy ripping this thing apart.
Sequence of disassembly:
1. Unscrew (CCW) then remove shutter release lock ring
2. Unscrew (CCW) then remove iso dial lock ring
3. Secure rewind fork and unscrew top crank (CCW)
4. Unscrew three 00 phillips screws on sides and rear
5. (If needed) run exacto knife along top case seam
6. Lift top case up and to the left (wire is connected underneath)
7. Lift out viewfinder's top plate
Things to watch out for:
- The red 'battery check' button is loose and will fall out if not supported during top.
- Under the left side of the top is a wire for the flash sync port. Be careful not to pull on the wire and disconnect the solder connection.
- DO NOT touch the beam-splitter (vertical glass with yellow tint) or it will damage the coating.
SUBSCRIBE!!! Every few days I'll be releasing videos on different film cameras.
Yashica Electro User manual- http://filmismorefun.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/yashica_electro_35_gsn-11.pdf
Here is a great text step-by-step for many Yashica Electro repairs with pictures from a blog- http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/repair.html